Nur’s Nook: Create a Community of Light
When you dream of the future, can you see a world where everyone lives in peace and respects each other? Does it seem realistic or impossible? The darkness of racism, inequality, and other injustices can sometimes make it hard to envision. But the Bahá’í writings promise that one day we’ll have world peace. Imagining a hopeful future can keep us focused on ways to help achieve it.
Like candles lighting up a dark room, your kind actions make your community more radiant. Talk to your family, classmates, or neighbors about what you can do to help your town shine. You might start a service project, plant a community garden, or have a block party.
Create this fun craft together. Use your virtues and strengths to set your community aglow!
You’ll Need: 8 1/2" x 11" (21.6 x 27.9 cm) white paper, ruler, scissors, pencil, markers, tacky glue, clear tape, acrylic paint, paintbrushes, water, markers, 3 1/2" x 6" (8.9 x 15.2 cm) decorative paper, cotton stuffing, small battery-operated candles, table or piece of cardboard
1. Draw a vertical line 1" (2.5 cm) from paper’s short edge at right. Then draw three vertical lines to make four rectangles, alternating between 2" (5.1 cm) and 3" (7.6 cm) wide.
2. Draw a horizontal line across entire paper, 2 ½" (6.4 cm) from top edge. Draw a triangle roof centered in each 2" (5.1 cm) rectangle.
3. Trim around roof, removing smallest rectangles and triangles. Optional: For a shorter house, evenly trim bottom edge.
4. Draw doors, windows, and designs in pencil. Fold along all vertical lines drawn in Step 1.
5. Glue 1" (2.5 cm) tab inside end of house to form 3D shape.
6. Press house flat. Paint house, keeping doors and windows paint free. Let dry.
7. Outline windows, doors, and designs with markers. Add virtues you’d like to see in your community.
8. For rooftop, fold decorative paper in half so short ends meet. Tape to roof.
9. Create snow by spreading cotton stuffing on table or cardboard. Place your group’s houses on top, with one or more battery-powered candles in each.
Dim room’s lights and see your community shine!
For a printable version, download a PDF of this craftNur98 Crafts128 Community75 Characters279 Arts and Crafts102 Play and Create498 Nur's Nook71 Bicentenary75 Race Unity121