Brilliant Star Seeks Part-Time Assistant Editor
Join our team in educating and empowering kids of the world! We’re seeking a part-time Assistant Editor for Brilliant Star Magazine and Brilliant Star Online.
The Assistant Editor helps to support the vision, goals, and strategies for Brilliant Star Magazine and Brilliant Star Online, primarily through brainstorming, researching, writing, proofreading, website development, and social media. This part-time position works directly with the Senior Editor and collaboratively with other staff members to prepare manuscripts for publication in print and online, brainstorm ideas for future issues, research relevant topics, and proofread pages prior to printing. This position is also key in helping to manage Brilliant Star’s community-building presence on social media and Brilliant Star Online.
The position can be performed either onsite or offsite in the U.S. The Assistant Editor supports Brilliant Star’s editorial mission and creative direction as an award-winning children’s publication of the National Spiritual Assembly. If you’re interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key Job Responsibilities and Essential Functions
include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Researches and writes manuscripts for print and online publication, including fiction, non-fiction, interviews, activities, games, comics, and quizzes.
- Participates in a consultative and collaborative team environment, exercising constructive communication techniques, especially in the exchange of ideas and critique.
- Researches the Bahá’í writings, current plans and guidance, and other relevant resources to provide accurate, well-refined concepts and content. Participates in staff brainstorming sessions for each new issue and compiles ideas to share with other staff members.
- Helps to develop and implement marketing and public relations activities and to build and interact with Brilliant Star’s audience through social media and Brilliant Star Online.
- Proofreads print and online manuscripts for readability, substance, accuracy, clarity, tone, angle, age appropriateness, originality, timeliness, ethics, and consistency with Brilliant Star’s mission.
- Works with designers and illustrators to develop engaging concepts that integrate words and art as cohesive content.
- Keeps abreast of trends in publishing for children, both in print and online. Continually analyzes our audience to try to understand its needs.
- Maintains a clear understanding of the goals, features, and content of Brilliant Star Online, helps to develop new content, upload content to the site, and test site functionality.
- Attends Brilliant Star’s annual meeting, and develops and leads workshops for staff members.
- Participates in Bahá’í community events and core activities, especially those involving junior youth and children.
Skills and Qualifications Required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function listed above satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- A Bahá’í in good standing, actively engaged in the core activities of the current plan.
- Broad knowledge of the Bahá’í writings and principles and the ability to apply them to the development of children’s materials.
- College degree in journalism, writing, education, or another relevant field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience, preferably in a professional editorial publishing environment. Experience in children’s publishing and digital media and basic understanding of the principles of graphic design, illustration, photography, and printing are helpful.
- Proficient user of computer software, including Microsoft Office, well-versed in Internet research, and willing to develop proficiency with other software or online tools. Knowledge of Expression Engine or another Content Management System (CMS) is a plus.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to manage time effectively to accomplish multiple projects with minimal supervision. Must be comfortable working under the pressure of meeting ongoing, simultaneous deadlines.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal abilities and proven skills in written and verbal communication. Must be versed in creative and business writing for various audiences. Must be able to collaborate and consult, especially during editorial/art critique and concept development. Must be able to communicate about Brilliant Star with other agencies of the National Spiritual Assembly and other organizations with professionalism and accuracy.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about producing educational materials for children and junior youth. Must be familiar with educational principles and learning styles, and eager to develop creative methods for implementing them in Brilliant Star’s content. Demonstrates self-discipline, humility, creativity, flexibility, and persistence.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
If you’re interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.Brilliant Star13 Crew1 Jobs1 Assistant Editor1 About21